Preliminary discussions on this project between translator Steve Dyson (yours truly) and the Met & Marine team focused on how to improve the magazine's visual appeal and readability for our highly specialised audience including procurement agency staff, company executives and naval officers, a high proportion of whom are second-language readers.
We decided to adopt a number of simple guidelines with a view to meeting the needs of our target readership.
These guidelines include:
- simple, elegant layout
- simple, elegant high-readability typeface
- black type on white background (no coloured type on coloured background)
- white space between paragraphs
- minimal use of italics and capitals
- easy-to-read captions relating directly to photos and diagrams of special interest.